Home and Contents Insurance – Ballarat

August 19, 2019

Home and contents insurance combines the cover of your home and contents into one policy. However, you can choose to cover just your building, your contents or cover both the building and contents. Your buildings are the dwelling used entirely and primarily as a place of residence at the situation listed on your schedule and contents is referring to your personal items which belong to you, your family or for the items you or your family are legally liable for.

You should always ensure your sums insured are adequately covering you for the full replacement value of your building and contents, as well as reviewing the sums when your circumstances change, this may be due to renovations or obtaining new contents items. During each period of insurance, your building and general contents sums insured will be automatically increased to take into account various alterations over the time period.

There are two main types of Home and Contents insurance – Accidental Damage and Defined Events.

Accidental Damage: An accidental damage policy is the highest level of cover for home and contents insurance. For an additional premium, this covers you for any “accidental loss or damage” however please check your policy wording for the events/items that you may not be insured for.

Defined Events: Defined events cover lists the damage that may occur to your building or contents that you’re insured for and everything else is excluded. Policies differ however the main events you will be covered for are;

  • Fire
  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Lightning
  • Earthquake or Tsunami
  • Theft/burglary
  • Wind damage
  • Vandalism
  • Glass breakage

If you would like Remingtons Insurance Brokers to provide a free quote or review your existing policy, please call us on 1300 137 175 or email info@remingtons.com.au