Domestic and personal insurance, Ballarat and Geelong
Home and contents insurance
Remingtons Insurance Brokers have provided you with useful tools to help determine the approximate amount of cover you would need for your home and its contents:
The handy home building calculator can help you work out the replacement value of your home.
The handy home contents calculator can help you work out the value of your assets.
Listed events insurance
A basic home and contents insurance policy is one that pays for damage to, or loss of, your home and personal possessions while they are within that home. This type of policy is also known as a “listed events” or “defined events” insurance policy, as it covers the listed event in the policy only. An example of events covered include:
- Malicious acts
- Breakage of glass
- Water damage.
Accidental damage insurance
Accidental damage insurance provides full accidental loss or damage to your home and contents, wherever you are in the world, unless excluded in the wording of the policy. This may give you insurance coverage should your possessions be outside your home when they are lost or damaged.
Examples of items and events you would be covered for include:
- Spillages on floors
- Lost or accidentally broken phone or other mobile device
- Dropped camera
- Stolen handbag whilst shopping
- Lost watch
- Mobile phone dropped into toilet (it happens more than you’d think!).
Insurance companies often put limits on valuable items, usually between $5000 and $10,000, depending on the type of policy you choose. To have items valued over the limit covered for their full value, you must specify the item and often a valuation certificate is required.
Examples of valuable items commonly insured over the limit covered include:
- Items containing gold and silver
- Collections of coins or stamps
- Works of art and paintings.
It is important to consider the items you currently have and need for your own personal circumstances, and ensure you read the product disclosure statement (PDS) prior to making a decision about your home insurance.
Private motor vehicle insurance
Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance
Comprehensive car insurance covers you for any theft, accidental loss or damage to your vehicle, as well as damage to property and other vehicles. There are additional benefits that can be added to your cover for an extra premium when you have comprehensive cover. These additional benefits include:
- Agreed value. At the time of the cover being placed, the value of the vehicle is established and fixed for the period of insurance. This means if you have a total loss, you know the exact amount you will receive at settlement, less any excess payable.
- Windscreen extension. This will allow you one new windscreen per year without having to pay the excess or having an effect on your No Claim Bonus.
- Hire car after an accident. It is traumatic enough to have a motor vehicle accident. On top of that no one wants to be without a car for days or weeks on end while repairs and claims are being made. This additional benefit will provide for you to have a rental or hire car following an accident.
Third party, fire and theft cover
This type of insurance provides you with cover for any damage caused by fire to or theft of your vehicle as well as damage to another person’s property or other vehicles.
Third party property damage cover
This type of insurance will provide cover for any damage to another person’s property or vehicle.
Download our glove box accident report card to keep in your car. It will step you through everything you need to do in the immediate aftermath of a motor vehicle accident.
Prestige motor vehicle insurance
At Remingtons Insurance Brokers, we understand that owners of prestige, vintage and classic motor vehicles can be fastidious and conscientious car owners. And ensuring there is adequate insurance for those cars is something we understand too.
Our insurance brokers will discuss the benefits of various levels of cover with you, including comprehensive cover, storage and restoration cover, or legal liability insurance cover only.
For our clients caravan insurance can cover;
- Motor homes
- Camper trailers
- Relocatable homes
- Horse floats
Talk to our Ballarat and Geelong insurance brokers today about your needs and let us provide you with a quote today.
There are a number of levels of motorcycle insurance to cover events that could damage or even destroy your motorbike. Coverage includes:
Comprehensive motorcycle insurance covers your motorcycle for accidental damage, fire and theft, as well as damage caused by your bike to third party property. Comprehensive cover may also be restricted to one nominated rider, which will reduce the premium owing.
For further reduced premiums, you may want to consider a policy that covers your motorcycle for third party property damage and fire and theft only; no accidental damage is included.
To decide if a policy is right for you, talk to one of our Ballarat or Geelong insurance brokers who have the experience and knowledge of motorcycle insurance.
Boat, jet ski and pleasure craft insurance
Our Ballarat and Geelong insurance brokers at Remingtons can recommend various boat insurance to cover all types of pleasure crafts, from yachts, cruisers, water skis, fishing boats, jet skis and canoes.
Policies can cover accidental loss or damage to your craft, including motors, trailers, accessories and fishing and sailing gear. It also covers your liability to other people for property damage or injury or death that may be caused by your negligence. Refer to your schedule and policy for any limits and coverage.
Not everyone requires the same coverage, so there are optional benefits that can be included such as coverage for water skiers and lay-up cover for periods when your boat is not in use.
There are a range of optional insurance policies available for landlords. These include:
- Building. This covers the cost to rebuild the building in the event of a total loss.
- Contents. As a landlord, you may rent out your property unfurnished, however there are still contents that you need to consider covering such as carpets, drapes, curtains and blinds.
- Loss of rent. This applies when the building is not habitable after sustaining damage. This can extend to damage caused by water, fire and other events listed in the policy wording, as well as malicious damage.
- Rent default and theft by tenant. In the event that the tenant fails to pay rent in accordance with the rental agreement, this policy will cover you (see policy wording for policy coverage). Theft by tenant covers any part of the building and contents sum insured on your schedule (see policy wording for policy coverage). It is important to note that maintenance, wear and tear and poor housekeeping are not covered and are the responsibility of the landlord.
Residential strata insurance
Residential strata insurance covers common property under the management of a strata title and is usually paid for by the owners of each strata title.
The areas covered generally include common or shared property which has been defined on the title of the property and will also provide liability cover to protect strata title owners in the event that someone is injured when they are on the common property.
Remember that strata insurance doesn’t protect you if your premises or belongings are damaged; you will need to ensure that you have appropriate personal insurance to cover your home and contents, call our brokers to obtain a quote.
Are you planning a holiday? Remember that travel insurance is an integral part of your trip! Travel insurance can provide cover for events such as:
- Cancellation of trip due to unforeseen circumstances
- Medical expenses
- Lost, damaged or stolen luggage
- Travel delays
- Personal liability.
There are options to chose, from including single trip, annual or multiple trips, and corporate cover.
Of course the coverage offered will vary depending on your needs as well as the insurer. It is imperative you know what you are covered for and also what you are not covered for prior to leaving on your trip.
Accident and injury insurance
Personal accident and injury insurance provides protection for covered accidental death and injury. It can help maintain financial security in the event of death by accident or an accidental injury.
Whatever your personal and domestic insurance needs, you can rely on the experience and knowledge of the insurance brokers at Remingtons Insurance Brokers. We are your personal insurance broker Geelong and Ballarat-wide.
Please ensure your sums insures are adequate and that your valuables have been sufficiently covered. Refer to your current policy schedule for sums insured, and to the insurer’s product disclosure statement (PDS) for inclusions and exclusions to your current policy.